Wednesday, January 5, 2011

SHANY nail art: Konad Dupe Review


Most of you already know from my txt messages that I bought a bundle of Konad dupe plates.  So here is a formal review.

What:

SHANY Nail Art Nailart Polish Stamp Stamping Manicure Image Plates Accessories Set Kit "25pcs"

Where:   Amazon
Price:  $14.95 + free two day shipping if you have a Amazon prime account ( you can get a free 30 day trial or free 1 year student subscription)  the price IS changing so I don't know how much longer this deal is staying at this price.  I bought it last week for 13.95, today its 14.95.  So no idea what it may be tomorrow.

Comparison to Konad
-  The images are all different, none of them will overlap if you already have Konad plates.   I've looked at them and compared all 25 plates to the ones on the Konad site.
- quality of the patterns and image are very comparable !  I don't think you'll notice a difference
- The plate itself is VERY sharp!   I would probably sand down the sides when I have time.    But I mean unless you are totally throwing them around, using them on a stable table will cause you no harm.  The Konad one is thicker and the company took more time to make sure their edges are round and nice.
- These plates do scratch easily so when I put them away I just wrap them in some napkins.  No biggie.
-  The full nail patterns do not cover all of your thumb...but with a little practice and skill you can patch up the side no problem.

That being said for 14 bucks for 25 plates ...comes about to be about $1.66 a plate!  Vs.  Konad is $6.99+shipping!

I've loved the Konad product since I first saw them from http://www.frmheadtotoe.com/    but I've have been reluctant to buy them because of the price and hassle with shipping from international sellers.  This dupe is so close in quality and end result that it is a STEAL!

Grab them before everyone else figures it out!   I know shopaholicness did lol!


Onto my first attempt

Some things I learned....

- not all polishes will work well for this, but you don't have to use the Konad polish for it to work.

I wanted to do gold and black but my gold ( Sally Hansen's Guilty Pleasure) did not stamp well enough (2nd sample top row)

The sliver ( Sephora OPI Queen of Everything)  worked really well (1st and 3rd on top row)

another gold ( Orly in Glitz and Glamour )  did not work well at all (last on top row)


The black I used was Sally Hansens Hard as Nails in Black out.  Although it was super black as a base, it did not show up well as a stamp as you can see on the 2nd row. 

So moral of the story, you should do test runs on paper first to see what works and what doesn't before you try it on your nails, cause it can get messy -___-

Also PATIENCE.  Paint your base color and don't attempt to do the stamp before it's completely dry ( I learned this the hard way)

End result:  Very cool looking nails.   The black and sliver combo is a bit too goth for me lol.  But it took  so much effort to do it that I'm not gonna take it off till it wears off.   The right hand is def a challenge.  But not as hard as I thought!   Looking forward to more color and image combo fun!







6 comments:

  1. Oh, good job! Looks so cool, I wanna try that same combo! Haha. Yeah, I noticed glittery polishes don't work well because it just scrapes right off the plate. And I get impatient too and end up ruining my whole nail when I don't wait for it to dry completely. lol. this is definitely when Seche Vite topcoat comes in handy! It's on sale now at ulta for $4.95 now if u don't have It yet. Very worth the money.

    ReplyDelete
  2. good review.. i was actually on amazon.com and saw these and did a quick google to see if i should get them or not!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Eugenia
    Thanks! Hope you buy them! I want to see other ideas for different combos

    ReplyDelete
  4. After my last exam, I'm buying this for sure!

    ReplyDelete